2022-11-28 | 92 Print PDF
The race for Presidency has been on for a while now and the desire by different aspirants to occupy the number one office in Nigeria had taken another twist with clash and backlash among stakeholders.
Political parties and their respective candidate’s hope to rule the country has remained a long-term driven ambition that many citizens look forward to even though everyone has a choice at heart.
Regardless of candidacy, only one person will eventually emerge as the winner at the poll, hence the need for a campaign rally, Television interviews, Town Hall meetings, etc. among aspirants.
Just like every other aspirant, the former Governor of Lagos State and flag bearer of the Action People Congress (APC), Bola Ahmed Tinubu has kept his juice flowing with consultations, political talks, interviews, campaigns, and the like. However, the aura has generated lots of controversy with many elite groups nurturing a notion that he may not be psychologically fit for the position of President.
Here are 5 different occasions the former Senator, Tinubu commits political gaffes during his campaign
1. On November 26, 2022, the APC held a rally at the Teslim Balogun Stadium in Lagos State, and upon addressing the crowd, he said
“Do you love me? Do you love me? Go and take your APV, APC and you must vote”
Though by either word, he meant to say PVC (Permanent Voters Card).
2. At an event in Oporoza, Gbaramatu Kingdom of Delta State, the APC leader acknowledged dignitaries and upon getting to Senator Omo-Agege, he asserted
“I equally recognize today the deputy senate president currently and he will be the governor of Niger Delta State”.
However, the utterance stands to mean Delta State.
3. Also, regarding the recent attempt by Tinubu to answer questions in Imo State as to why he was absent at the town hall media talk and debate organized for those seeking the highest political seat, he said
“A town hall different from balabloo-blu-bulava”.
4. Furthermore, the APC Presidential flag-off campaign held at Rawang, Pam Township Stadia, Jos Plateau State which had party stalwarts in attendance left many to wonder if the former Senator has memory retardation issues when he prayed
“God bless Nigeria, God bless PD…APC”.
Though he was able to retract and prayed for his party upon realizing that it was the opposition party he almost mentioned.
5. At the 7th Kaduna Economic and Investment Summit (KADInvest), the APC Presidential flag-bearer tried to praise the Governor of Kaduna State
“I am openly begging Governor El Rufai not to run away from additional degrees like Ph.D. or others. There are educated derelict”
“We are not going to let you run away. Your vision, creativity, and resilience in turning a rotten situation into a bad one are necessary at this critical time, and that is why we are here”.
Although the statement which was intended to grease the governor had different interpretations from the political scene.
By and large, the political gaffe by the APC frontman might not be a major determiner at the poll come but it gave other hopefuls a spot to leverage on.